04/09/09

Lo stagno

These I, singing in spring

"((...)And this, O this shall henceforth be the token of comrades - this calamus-root shall,
Interchange it, youths, with each other! Let none render it back!)
And twigs of maple, and a bunch of wild orange, and chestnut,
And stams of currents, and plum-blows, and the aromatic cedar,
These I, compassed around by a thick cloud of spirits,
Wandering, point to, or touch as I pass, or throw them loosely from me,
Indicating to each one what he shall have - giving something to each,
But what I drew from the water by the pond-side, that I reserve,
I will give of it - but only to those comrades who love, as I myself am capable of loving."

(Walt Whitman, Calamus)


Queste in primavera cantando

"((...) Perciò questo deve essere il segno speciale dell'amicizia, questo stelo di calamo,
Scambiatevelo, giovani tra voi, ché nessuno lo restituisca)
E verghe d'acero, e un mazzo di arancio selvatico e di castagno,
Germogli di ribes e fiori di susino, e l'aromatico cedro,
Questi io canto, avvolto da una densa nube di spiriti,
Errando, li mostro o li tocco mentre passo, liberamente li getto lontano da me,
Indicando a ciascuno quello che gli spetta, a ciascuno donando qualcosa,
Ma quello che ho attinto dallo stagno, quello lo serbo,
Ne darò, ma solo a quei compagni che amano come io sono capace d'amare."

Nessun commento: